As in all trends, 80’s makeup style seemed trendy and normal at that time, but if you look back now, you will notice how entirely different it is from the natural look we have today. However, the 80s era is one of those that many people fondly look back at – from 80s theme parties to in demand retro costumes.
The 80’s Look
So how do you come up with a look that is distinctly 80’s? For starters, 80s fashion style is quite easy to achieve: a bright colored matching dress or a skirt suit with matching huge shoulder pads, acid wash jeans, or big shirts to go with tight skirt or tights are good starting points . Spice up your look with an attention-grabbing pastel plastic jewelry, bangle, or metallic belts.
The hair styles of the 80’s rely heavily on hairspray, mousse and gels (lots of it). Big hair, feathered and strangely colored with neon streaks, and faux hawk were definitely in. You can adopt these styles or go for a slicked bob one for shorties or simply go with a high pony tail on the side of your head.
Of course, an eighties makeup to top off the fashion and the hair would complete that fabulous 80’s look! First, you have to know that women’s makeup in the 80’s were way too much. Makeup in the 80s literally involved painting their faces. Bold eyes and accentuated cheek bones were most important! Eyes during those days needed to be dark and dramatic, layers and layers of eyeliner and bold shades of eyeshadow in hues of green, blue and purple were applied.
Women of the 80s also loved to put on lipstick that popped, as in bright tomato red shades. Makeup during that time would never be complete without the mica – the metallic powder which was used on the eyelids (and other parts of the body) for that fabulous added shimmer.
80’s Makeup Application: How to Makeup Like in the 80s
How then do you apply makeup o achieve an 80’s look?
- You can start off by applying liquid foundation to smooth out your complexion. (Conceal blemishes or dark spots beforehand if necessary.)
- Line your lids with a good black eyeliner. Line your top and bottom lids, as well as the skin right under your eyes. Put a lot!
- Curl your eyelashes and apply mascara.
- Afterwards, put on lots of bright green, blue or purple eyeshadow onto your entire eyelid; entire means from the brow line up to the lid line. You can apply a bold secondary color to make it more interesting.
- Apply a few strokes of bright blush along your cheekbones – make it look heavy.
- Finally, finish off that look with a bright red colored lipstick.
You can always refer to the 80’s style of Madonna or Cyndi Lauper – they are excellent examples of the look of this era. You can copy the colors, if you want to. 80’s makeup is surely one of the most interesting trends ever!